Sunday, December 7, 2008

Serger issue and Quiltathon progress


A few months back I got out my serger and was going to zip up some pillowcases real quick like for some Quilts of Valor Quilts. Well imagine my surprise when I went to sew and the machine would do nothing....I mean nothing, nadda, zilch.....I tried everything I could think of and resigned myself to the fact that it was going to have to go to the serger hospital. So back in the cupboard it went and I concentrated on other sewing. Well recently I made a pair of pillowcases for my MIL for part of her Christmas present and was frustrated that I couldn't serge the edges for a nice finish. Well the other day I was complaining to my friend in Ohio about this and we started talking and she started asking questions and one thing lead to another and I ended up getting out the manual......and read the troubleshooting guide.....well guess what? My serger has an LCD screen and if the presser foot isn't down it won't do a thing! Nothing, nadda, zich.....evidently when I went to use it before I was going to test drive it with something bulky and had lifted the presser foot...because once I put the foot down it worked!! I am so glad I didn't take it in to be serviced!! They, along with you would have a good laugh at my expense.


So for the first part of quiltathon weekend I was able to serge the edges of the pillowcases and I got 2 placemats made. They are also for my MIL. I went to quilt them and discovered I didn't have the right color thread for that so off to Joanns and dinner and Sat night was over. So today after work I will quilt them and they will be done. Maybe I can also whip up some QOV cases while I'm at it.....

1 comment:

Vicky said...

I'm laughing at you because I've done similar things. I got out the box and was going to package up my 440. When I got under the sewing table to unplug it, it wasn't plugged in! I embarrassed myself over that one! LOL

The placemats look wonderful!